« Home | Who The Hell Are You? »

It's A Jungle Out There

I estimate that 90% of the money most indie artists spend on promoting their career and music is wasted. Radio promoters, retail programs, CD compilations, and more--most of them are nothing more than a waste of your time and money. Why is that? Well, often it is due to a misunderstanding of the simple concept of getting your money's worth.

An independent radio promoter may be able to get you a spin or two at a decent-sized station or even full-time airplay in a light rotation at a smaller station. That's nice. But how much is it worth? I'll walk you through understanding exactly how to make that judgement. Similarly, the Internet provides indie musicians with a tremendous amount of opportunity, but what is worth spending your money on and what is a waste of time? I'll walk you through that answer, too.

So, if you came to this blog expecting a get famous quick scheme, you've come to the wrong place. If you came for some advice on how to get famous, well, I guess I can provide some anecdotal lessons on that. However, if you came to this blog to educate yourself on how best to promote yourself and your art, to avoid the scams and the ineffective tools that will simply lighten your wallet and not improve your booking, CD sales, or radio airplay. Ah, then you've absolutely come to the right place.

Labels:

About me

  • I'm Jack
  • ...and I'm here to save you money and help you better navigate the music business waters. I have worked as a music director in a major market rock station, a promotion executive at a major label, and I oversaw marketing at a major distribution company retail branch. So I know of what I speak.

Previous posts

Links


Powered by Blogger